Road Test – Behind the Wheel – Permit Information
Use the information below to answer any questions you have about licensing, behind the wheel, and permit concerns.
UNDERSTAND THAT EVEN IF YOU APPLY FOR THE ROAD TEST WAIVER YOU STILL MAY BE SELECTED BY THE STATE TO TAKE THE ROAD TEST. THIS WILL BE DONE AT RANDOM SO BEING PREPARED TO TAKE THE TEST IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!
- The road test will be waived for 16-17 year old drivers who successfully completed ALL PORTIONS of an approved Driver Education Program, including the Classroom and Behind-the-Wheel.
- YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO APPLY FOR A WAIVER ONCE YOU HAVE COMPLETED ALL OF YOUR BEHIND THE WHEEL LESSONS.
- Beginning May 11, those under 18 years may be eligible to have their road test waived if their parent or guardian agrees and they have met all appropriate conditions (THE CONDITIONS ARE 30 HOURS OF CLASSROOM, BEHIND THE WHEEL, AND HAVE HELD YOUR PERMIT FOR 6 MONTHS)
- DMV road tests resume on May 26 by appointment only which should be scheduled online
Who qualifies for the Waiver?
Any person 16 or 17 years of age who:
- Successfully completed an approved Driver Training Education Course
- Held instruction permit for a minimum of 6 months
- Successfully completed Behind-the-Wheel
- Have parent or guardian sign the waiver to receive the road test waiver
Who does not qualify for the Waiver?
- Any person 18 years of age or older
- Any person who has not successfully completed an approved Driver Training Education Course
- Any person who has not completed Behind-the-Wheel
- Any person who has previously failed a road test
- Any person whose sponsor does not agree to having the road test waived
How to apply for the Waiver
- Driver Training Schools will submit student records as normal. DMV records will show completion status of the Driver Training Education course and Behind-the-Wheel
- Students who meet the requirements should apply online through the road test waiver page wisconsindmv.gov/testwaiver
- Normal fees apply
- Sponsor (parent or guardian) will acknowledge full responsibility and sign waiver
- DMV will convert license status from Instruction Permit to Probationary License
- PDF copy of new probationary license card is emailed for immediate use
- The driver should receive the physical Probationary License card via mail in 7-10 days
- Driver should print pdf if possible, or present email to Law Enforcement if necessary until physical card arrives
About the Waiver
- Parent or guardian agrees to accept responsibility and vouch for the safe driving abilities of the new student
- Parent or guardian will sign electronic agreement
- The parent’s or guardian’s driver license or ID card number will be entered into the online system and they will receive verification that our records indicate they approved the road test waiver
Behind the Wheel Scheduling
- All students and instructors will be REQUIRED to wear a mask while completing behind the wheel lessons. If you, a family member, or any person you are in regular contact with has symptoms or has tested positive for COVID19, you are are not allowed to attend your lesson.
- The DMV is currently issuing Instruction Permits and conducting Knowledge Tests beginning. This does not require an appointment.
- IF YOU NEED AN MV3001 FORM TO OBTAIN YOUR PERMIT YOU NEED TO TEXT MR. KOWALSKI @ 608-780-9781. All MV3001 forms will be mailed to your house once a text message is received. You ARE NOT allowed to pick the form up from me in person. Don’t forget the MV3001 form expires 60 days after it was signed by an instructor. Make sure you check!!
Why do people choose Mississippi Valley Driving?
We take pride in the fact that we can offer a personal experience for all of our student drivers since we are a small locally owned company.
All of our instructors are fully certified in drivers education as well as K-12 staff.
Our 6 certified instructors have over 100 years of combined teaching experience!! Not many schools can say the same!!
Students are able to drive one time per month for 6 months. While some companies push students through to get them done as quick as possible, our philosophy is to make sure we give our students time to practice and develop over the 6 drive sessions.
We offer flexible payment plans to fit the needs of all families.
Upcoming Sessions – 2021
(All Classes will be held in Room 510 @ Holmen High School)
June 7th – June 25th from 10am – 12 pm, Monday-Friday
June 7th – June 25th from 12pm – 2pm, Monday-Friday
July 26th – August 13th from 8am – 10am, Monday-Friday
October 18th – November 5 from 3pm – 5pm, Monday-Friday
Online Drivers Education Class
Process for signing up for Online Drivers Ed:
- Print, fill out, and mail the registration form.
- Once we receive your information it will be processed to get a login and password generated. You will receive an email stating you have been signed up. The email is proof your registration has been received and processed.
- DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THE MAILED PAPER COPY WITH YOUR INFORMATION FROM US!!!
- Once you receive the mailed copy of paperwork you will be able to start taking the class online. Usually you receive the paperwork to start within 3-4 days of everything being processed by us.
Charity and Donations
Mississippi Valley Driving is dedicated to giving back to local charities and organizations. In fact, over $10 is donated for every student that takes drivers ed with us. Since May of 2015 Mississippi Valley Driving has donated over $22,000 to local charities and organizations. We want to give back to the community!!! Charities include:
Driven Scholarships, Jaden’s Journey, Wisconsin Children’s Hospital, Champ I AM Training, Kicking Bear Foundation, Holmen High School, Tyler Shockey Cancer Benefit, Holmen’s Hope, MVC Conference Track Meet, Holmen Football, Holmen Baseball, Holmen Cross Country, Holmen Dance Team, Holmen Entrepreneur, Holmen Marketing, Holmen Wrestling, La Crosse Lightning, Holmen Youth Baseball, Holmen Softball, Holmen Cross Country, HYBPAI, Extra Innings Baseball, Holmen Booster Club, Holmen DECA, and Dancing with the Sports Stars.
DMV Road Test
Click the DMV Road Test button to sign up for the BEHIND THE WHEEL test at your local DMV.
“Learning how to drive is a scary thing, especially for me considering I felt anxiety driving around a parking lot when I first got my permit. I owe my driving skills to Mr. Kowalski. He is a great instructor for many reasons― he will continue to go over anything with you until you are more than confident with whatever the task may be. When you make a mistake he does not make you feel bad about that mistake, but communicates with you on where you made your error and how you can improve your skills until you feel confident. Within each session you learn so much about driving. He does a great job balancing teaching new skills while additionally reviewing past skills so you are ready for your test. By your last session you will feel confident enough to pass your test. I highly recommend Mr. Kowalski as your driver instructor for his great driving knowledge and the positive environment he offers to make driving a great time!”
Nicole Sisul – Student
“Travis Kowalski is a great instructor. My daughter felt very comfortable learning how to drive with him. He was very patient with her and made the experience enjoyable. He also really did a great job of building her confidence as she was very nervous about driving. I too had lots of reservations about my daughter’s driving skills; however, Travis convinced me to give her as many opportunities to drive as possible. I finally had to let my baby grow up and get behind the wheel. My daughter not only passed her drivers test but scored quite well on the test because TRAVIS taught her the RULES of the road. The lady at the DMV was impressed with her driving. Today she is a very conscientious driver because she had an instructor who instilled in her that safety is crucial. Thanks Travis!”
Donna Callaway – Parent